Friday, February 05, 2010

Fort Myers, Florida (Part 1) We're Here!

For those of you who don't already know, I'm in Fort Myers with my mom and my sister, Diane on a short vacation to visit my mom's sister, Alice. Unfortunately, it's after midnight here and we have a busy day planned tomorrow (and most every day that we're here), so this has to be short and sweet.


I just couldn't wait to post a couple of pictures of some of the things that we saw tonight when we went downtown to their First Friday Art Walk. Yes, they have one too. We'll talk more about that later.

Right now you can admire this awesome art installation with words shining all over the sidewalk, building, pedestrians and ...

...even on the trees!

I just LOVE it!  Alice didn't really know the story behind the choice of the various words.  Some of them are definitely real words, but others look to be either made up or another language.  I haven't had time to research it.  Let me know if you know anything about it.

Anyway, this is at the Sidney and Berne Davis Art Center in downtown Fort Myers.

Here's a close up of the words below as well.

Later we went into this gallery that had some gorgeous textiles!

I found this beautiful hand-dyed silk green scarf for only $15!  What a fun souvenir to bring home as a reminder of the wonderful time that we've already had...and it's only the first day here!







We also enjoyed some amazing music tonight, but that will have to be a post for another time.  In the meantime, do any of you know what a theremin is?  I can give you a hint.  It's a musical instrument and we got to hear one tonight!  More on that to come so stay tuned...

1 comment:

Julie's Blog said...

How fun...can't wait to read how the rest of the weekend went and see all the great pictures. Have fun!