Tuesday, November 10, 2009

How to Preserve Fall Leaves

Just before we left on our trip, someone asked Terry to bring home some fall leaves from NC and I actually remembered to do it.  The last day we were there I took a Ziploc bag on our walk downtown for lunch and gathered a dozen or so leaves of various colors.  Red, green, brown, golden, orange and shades in between.

After collecting so many beautiful colors, I didn't want them to go to waste, so I'm preserving them in a solution of glycerin and water.  Have you ever done that?  When we were kids we used to press them in books and iron them between sheets of wax paper, but I've heard that the glycerin process works much better.

I need to leave them in this solution for 3 or more days.  I hope they look almost as beautiful when they're done as they did when I picked them.

In case you're interested here's a description of how to preserve leaves in several different ways.

No comments: