Sunday, April 20, 2008

Baby Shower & Brunch recipes:

I went to a wonderful baby shower brunch yesterday for our dear friends, the Thompsons. Check Linda's blog for more pictures and news about it. Linda did an amazing job on these sweet little lemon cupcakes. The presentation was so beautiful too! We celebrated the birth of Linda's granddaughter, precious little Emolyn Kate. She is a true miracle of God and we're so blessed to be a part of her little life.


I had the privilege of bringing a couple of hot dishes for the event and a few people asked for the recipes, so I decided to post them here. I'm also posting a 3rd recipe that's also one of my favorites for any meal. I hope you enjoy them. I mostly cook without recipes, but for some reason, I feel the need to use a recipe when it comes to egg dishes or baked items, especially so the consistency comes out right. The first two below are from the shower. The third one is another favorite of mine. Sorry, I don't have any photos of the hot dishes.

Eggs Fantastic
(this recipe is courtesy of my mother-in-law, so I don't have the original source of it. It's a great one for larger groups, very quick and easy)

1 lb bulk pork sausage (add more if desired)
1/4 lb mushrooms, chopped (add more if desired)
8 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
6 eggs
3 Tbsp sour cream
6 Tbsp salsa
8 oz grated cheddar cheese
8 oz grated mozzarella cheese
8 oz Velveeta cheese (grated or cubed)

Saute sausage, mushrooms, onion until cooked. Drain well. Season with salt & pepper, if needed.
Grease 9 x 13" baking dish. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine eggs and sour cream in blender. Whip 1 minute. Turn into baking dish and sprinkle parsley into egg mixture. Bake until eggs are softly set (4 - 7 mins)

Remove from oven and sprinkle salsa evenly over eggs. Add sausage mixture layer to top of eggs, then top with all cheeses.

To serve now - broil until cheese is melted.

Or to serve later or next day - refrigerate until 30 mins before serving, then bake at 325 degrees until cheese is melted.

------------------------------------------
Peaches 'n Cream Stuffed French Toast

I found this recipe online, so I'll just give you the link to it. It comes from Central Park B & B in Louisville, Kentucky. Here's the link. I thought the flavor was good, but I think if I made it again, I would double the filling and peaches and try to figure out something to top it with that would make it look a little nicer...maybe drizzle berry syrup on top...not sure. By the way, I added the blueberries in the little spaces on top myself. That wasn't in the recipe.

------------------------------------------
Easy Quiche

I have made this recipe for years and I don't remember where it came from. It is the only quiche recipe I've found that comes out with perfect consistency every time. (I hate runny or overcooked quiche.) The secret is tossing the flour and cheese together.

You can also substitute like crazy in this recipe to come out with flavor combinations that you love - make it vegetarian or not. The possibilities are endless! It also reheats very well for a quick meal later, so feel free to make a few extras...you'll be glad you did. I'm pretty sure that you can freeze it too, although I haven't tried that.

1 deep dish pie shell (use your favorite crust recipe or buy the frozen or packaged ones at the store)
8 oz jack or swiss cheese (reg or low fat)
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 to 1 lb meat (chopped cooked bacon, crab, shrimp, ham - your choice)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (reg or low fat)
1/4 cup milk (reg or 2 %)
2 eggs
Optional-- choose one or more - 1/4 cup fresh green onions, herbs, parsley, mushrooms, broccoli, etc.
salt to taste

Toss cheese w/flour in large bowl.
In separate bowl, combine mayo, milk, eggs-stir until mixed, then add to cheese mixture.
Fold in meat and optional items (if desired). Salt to taste. Pour mixture in pie shell.
Bake @ 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I hope you enjoy these!

3 comments:

linda t said...

Thank you sooo much Nancy for the wonderful casserole dishes for the shower!! They were a huge hit!!
The peaches 'n cream french toast dish was simply divine!! The best brunchy dish I have ever had!
Thanks for the recipes!
You made the shower extra special... love you.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you pointed me towards your blog--the recipes sound wonderful! I think I am going to try my hand at quiche and your recipe sounds delish!

linda t said...

Angie Platton made your French Toast casserole for her Tuesday Morning BS group and they all LOVED it!
Can't wait to make it myself!
Sooo sad about the SUNS loss... waaaa.