Saturday, December 01, 2007

New Book Review: For Parents Only - getting inside the head of your kid

I had the opportunity to read this book, and I have two more copies that I will send out FREE in the next week. If you comment on my blog on this post, between December 1st and 4th, I'll draw two lucky names and send you each a free copy of this book. Tell your friends...especially those with preteens, teens and even younger kids who'll be moving into these stages in the coming years.

I found the book to be very informative and have some practical insights, especially for those years when things seem to be highly emotional and it's easy to lose perspective in your relationship with your kids. This is the time when you'll wonder who the child is living in your house and where that little angel went.

Shaunti Feldhahn is known for unlocking the mysteries of relationships for men and women. Now she turns to a parent’s relationship with a child, particularly preteens and teenagers . Drawing on the results of a nationwide survey of kids and teenagers, she explores questions such as:

What do moms need to understand about the “tough and tender” boy who values respect over love?

What do dads need to understand about a child's need for affirmation?

Why even your "good" kid may sometimes go crazy to gain personal freedoms.

How to establish a "safe" place for your kids in their sojourn into adulthood.

Understanding the answers to these and other important questions can help parents make the holidays a time of celebration and unity, not strife and friction.

For Parents Only offers a unique look into a child’s mind and frees readers to communicate in healthier ways as they discover that understanding their kids may not be as complicated as they think.

Shaunti Feldhahn is the author of For Women Only and numerous other books, with sales totaling nearly one million copies. A nationally syndicated newspaper columnist and public speaker, Feldhahn earned her master’s degree at Harvard University. She and her husband, Jeff, have two young children. Lisa A. Rice is the associate editor of Christian Living magazine, the mother of two teenage girls, and a screenwriter and producer.

I can't wait to hear from you and will look forward to sending out two early Christmas presents in the coming week.

And if you don't happen to win the drawing and want to buy the book,
go to Amazon.com : For Parents Only

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Am I really the first to comment? I have two teens and need to read this book!!
I'm going to see if the library has it, but often they don't have Christian books.

Lisa said...

So I am putting my name in mostly because I am taking a Family Studies/ Child development class next semester and I think it may be interesting to see if some of the info is similar, but also because I have friends who are parents who may benefit from reading this.

BUT-feel free to give it someone who actually has preteens/teens as they would benefit much more than me!