Saturday, September 08, 2007

Before and after:

I mentioned that I did some updates around the house on Labor Day weekend and here's the first project.

Lesson Learned: This day reinforced to me how much more I would be able to get done at home if I could work a 4-day week. (Even if they were 10-hour days.) I am realizing more and more, that I do so much better if I can start on things as soon as I get out of bed. I don't stop for breakfast or to get cleaned up for the day, I just dive into the task at hand and work until it's done, carrying my coffee cup or water around with me and literally grabbing bites to eat as I get hungry. I just don't have that same energy or motivation after work and we usually have social or church plans on the weekends. I truly believe that if I had a day at home when most everyone else is at work, I could tackle all those projects that have been piling up over the years. ...so that is my prayer and goal...that we would find a way to do that this year.

Anyway, this particular project was really no big deal. I had bought 3 different sets of curtains and curtain rods at Ikea a few months ago (white, brown and aqua). I had some ideas where I wanted to use them, but hadn't decided for sure. So on Monday, Labor Day, I woke up with the challenge of actually doing something with the curtains that had been sitting in my scrapping room for all those months.

Now here's the sad and scary part. As I was getting them out of the bag, I noticed that the receipt was still in there. When I looked at it I was shocked to see that I had bought them on September 2nd, 2006! LAST LABOR DAY!!!! Talk about procrastination or poor time management or something! I just couldn't believe it. Pretty sad, that I hadn't made time in a full year to hang a few curtains. WOW!!!

So, the project itself was simple. As you can see, I decided to use the brown curtains in the office to cover the closet. We had removed the old metal louvered doors that were in the house when we moved in because they were in pretty bad shape. So until we find a more permanent solution, the guitar storage needed to be covered (sorry Terry). I think the chocolate brown looks great with the "Little Pond" blue walls and the dark wood of the desk. The room also looks so much more tidy as well.
Just an added note for anyone who might know... I have been trying to find mirrored sliding french doors to use in the closets, but haven't seen anyone who carries them. If you have any ideas, please pass them on.

And just for fun, here's my screen saver. Isn't it cool? It matches the room and makes me feel like I'm still sitting on the veranda at Crater Lake, enjoying the view. Love it!

There's still more to come on my Labor Day projects. This is just the first one. Enjoy!

2 comments:

linda t said...

Love the curtains Nancy!
Really motivates me to get something covered in my guest room closet area.
Love the idea! Really softens the room and I love the brown color.
Push for the 4-day work week Nancy! No, demand that 4-day work week! You deserve it!
It will change your life!

Miranda said...

the picture on your computer looks so nice... I want to be there.